Are you ready to become a Compiuter?
We’re looking for a
web developer to join our team, working full time on Connhex and custom projects for our clients.
This offer is quite detailed (read: long), but don’t expect the standard copy-pasted corporate jargon. Here’s a breakdown:
- About you : what we are looking for in a candidate for this position
- About us : the essential information about who we are, so you know what to expect before asking Google
- About this offer : details about this particular job offer.
Thank you for taking the time to read it - we would be glad to hear from you!
If you’re evaluating working with us, we are really honoured and grateful for it. From the outset, it is very important that we share the same values and principles of working. You should:
- have high quality standards but be able to live in peace with the fact that things can always be better
- be proactive - “I’m here waiting to be told what to do next” is not how we work. We appreciate autonomy and entrepreneurship, in its literal meaning. What do we offer in return? Your voice will always be heard and your opinions and decisions will be essential in steering Compiuta’s future.
You should be able to communicate effectively in English. Italian fluency is appreciated, but not required.
We believe that technologies come and go, but taste and solid engineering practices stay. Therefore we expect you to:
- be used to write unit and integration tests
- know that the first users you’re writing code for are your fellow co-workers that need to read it - and act accordingly
- always leave the place better than you found it - refactor, add tests, document or even simply track sections that could be improved
The ideal candidate for this role:
- is knowledgeable about
- is comfortable working with at least one of the major frontend SPA frameworks (React, Angular, Vue.js) and preferrably has a deep understanding of one of those. The vast majority of our ongoing projects uses
- has experience in creating backend applications (server monoliths and microservices) using
- knows Git
- adheres to our practices and standards and contributes to improve them. We place a lot of value on stuff like linting, conventional commits and cohesive formatting
Bonus points for:
- knowledge of timeseries databases (Influx DB, Timescale)
- experience in building hybrid mobile apps using either React Native or Flutter
Basic knowledge of Kubernetes, Docker and CI/CD pipelines is appreciated but not required for this position: if necessary, we’ll teach you the basics you need to know to set up a development environment within our infrastructure.
Compiuta is a young Italian company, operating in two areas: IoT and Computer vision. We consider ourselves young both because Compiuta was founded in 2021 and because the average Compiuter - how we jokingly refer to ourselves, for obvious reasons - is 31 years old. That still counts as young, right?
We split our time between creating, engineering and selling our own products and working on custom projects for clients. Oftentimes, Compiuta’s solutions are a blend of both: we initially provide our products to satisfy a business need, then doors open for additional collaboration. The other way round is also true: by finding commonalities between requests that come to us in one way or another, we find ideas for products or proprietary building blocks that we are able to reuse.
We are not strictly adherent to any PJM methodology and try to keep things as simple as possible: we like to think we got the main principles of the Agile Manifesto right, without obsessing too much over sprint planning. Our website is always outdated - even though…look at that smooth scrolling! - but represents a good starting point to understand what we do.
About this offer
You’ll be working with our
IoT team and contribute with your skills to both projects for customers and Connhex. We have a strict rule to reserve at least 30% of our time to the development of our products, so expect your work split to approximately match this division.
We are very much aware of the cost of context-switching and plan accordingly: we guarantee you won’t be required to be bouncing around between developing Connhex and other projects on an daily basis - except for the occasional fire week, where nothing goes according to plan.
Practically speaking, during your typical workday you could find yourself:
- creating microservices to extend Connhex and the family of products we have in pipeline revolving around it;
- refactoring, improving or extending sections of Connhex Control, our device management application;
- developing custom apps for customers. We usually follow a client-server model, even though we go serverless sometimes: each case is different, so this is where there’s usually room for experimentation;
This could partially subjective, but nonetheless is what we are constantly striving for. Think of these few principles as an addendum to our values, describing how we work at a more practical level. Also, if any of this sounds too good to be true, keep in mind that right now things are probably facilitated by Compiuta’s small size.
We deeply value expertise. You’ll be surrounded by experts in their own domains, ready to teach you everything they know about algorithms, data handling at scale and writing good code. Don’t mistake experts with “know-it-alls” though: the trademark of expertise is usually knowing when you have reached the boundary of your knowledge and need to deep dive into the rabbit hole.
Company politics is out of Compiuta. You are expected to clearly state your thoughts and quickly highlight any problem that may arise.
We are surrounded by an anxiety-free environment. We work quite hard, but always help out each other. No blaming is allowed, ever.
We structure compensation around a fixed part and a variable one. The fixed part is comprised of:
- base salary
- performance-based bonuses
We are budgeting a gross salary ranging from 25.000 to 30.000 € to fill this role (“RAL” according to Italian law), but are open to reconsider it to properly match your skills if necessary.
Performance-based bonuses and stock-options will be discussed once we are ready to make you an offer. You can generally expect performance-based bonuses to be tied both to your performance and to Compiuta’s profits for any given year.
- Ticket restaurant (8 €/day): use them for lunch or groceries!
- We don’t save money on work equipment.
- Relocation support
- Remote work, with home office budget if you plan to work remotely a lot
- Free coffee and snacks
- Last but not least: you'll be working with nice people!
Our main offices are in Padua but we are very remote-friendly and regularly work from home. For this position we are prioritizing candidates able to work side by side with us in Padua for at least a couple of days a week - exceptions for great candidates won’t be a problem.
How to apply
Just send us everything you think we should take a look at (code samples, projects you’re particularly proud of, CV, cover letter, …). Either Italian or English is fine - feel free to choose what suits you best.
You can either send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or reach out through LinkedIn.
I’m missing some of the requirements, but Compiuta seems interesting.
Just get in touch, and we’ll understand if there’s a fit with other openings we are planning.
I can’t work from Italy. Is there a real possibility for Compiuta to hire me or am I wasting my time by applying?
The answer is simple: we are prioritizing candidates in Italy, but are not crazy enough to pass on a great candidate. Apply without hesitation and we’ll let our lawyer and accountants figure out how we can pay you.
Is this offer full-time?
Yes, this is a full-time offer. And we hope to find someone willing to work with us for a really long time. We have great aspirations for Compiuta and need people ready to help with its creation.
Why is this offer in English if you’re Italian?
The main reason is that we strongly believe that a company is just a group of people. We won’t miss out on the opportunity to work with great people just because they’re not Italian: English is the common ground we can all understand.
Are there any additional requirements to apply?
No, there are not.
Compiuta is an equal opportunity employer. We consider for employment all applicants, regardless of their race, religion, color, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, pregnancy, political affiliation, disability, and any other legally protected characteristic.← Go back